Also known as the “Quarterdeck of the Navy,” the Naval District of Washington oversees nearly 4,000 square miles of activity surrounding the Capital. It provides support to Naval operations within a 100 mile radius of the Pentagon and encompasses over 70,000 military and civilian personnel. Overall, the NDW services more than 120 commands within its geographical boundary.
The Washington Navy Yard was first put into service in 1799 on land set aside by George Washington along the Anacostia River for use by the government. Throughout its over 200 year history, the Navy Yard has served a variety of purposes including shipbuilding, a central defense point for the Capital and a research facility for new technology. Its historic past has transitioned it into the headquarters of NDW that it serves as today.
To learn more visit the Naval District of Washington official website.
Click here to find the latest news about the Naval District of Washington.